‘When you remember today, what will you remember best?’ ‘All of it,’ she said. ‘It wouldn’t be complete or real if you left out any part of it, would it?’Wallace Stegner, Crossing to Safety
Of course, I’m pretty sure the daily photos themselves self-select a brighter version of the month; and sometimes those daily photos aren’t even moments I remember. This month, though,I recall all 31 of them. Highlights include:
- wearing three new sweaters (one of which, Miromesnil, I finished in January – Jan 2)
- time in my study … reading, knitting, journaling, making messes (Jan 12)
- a pedicure! (Jan 5)
- pretty buds and flowers on morning walks; the icy camellia (Jan 17) is a favorite
- snow! (Jan 16)
- debuting a new One Little Word (Jan 25)
- in-person smiles to celebrate my sister’s birthday (Jan 28)
- and a messy pile of boxes the Saturday I helped Sara move (Jan 29)
- evidence of longer days (Jan 30)
- a new Apple watch (Jan 31)
I’m grateful to these daily photos for marking those happy memories. and I’m grateful to this Looking Back practice for reminding me to mark all the other moments, too.
Life Draining: so much worrying about folks in my life (including an aging four-legged one). finding fault with little things and bickering about them instead of letting them go.
Life Giving: watching my mom successfully navigate the beginning of her post-injury recovery. watching Sara get settled into her new home. finally seeing Katie & Sam in person after more than a month (not pictured – Jan 30). a wonderful conversation with our former pastor about a potential Spiritual Growth seminar in August (working title “It’s Hard To Be a Human”). the grace and encouragement I’m receiving at church as I grow into my new leadership role.
A (short) Happy List: Jacqueline Woodson’s Red at the Bone playlist (Spotify link). I finally finished the mohair wrap for my sister’s birthday … and she loved it even though it was still damp from blocking when I gave it to her (Ravelry link). Watching Emily in Paris season 2 with Marc. Jumping on board the Musselburgh bandwagon. and getting this blog onto WordPress’s hosted platform; it’s so much easier to manage!
What made your happy list this month?