“Stars are made of dust and nitrogen; they are balls of gas and hydrogen. But that isn’t what a star is; it’s only what it is made of.”
~Patti Callahan, Once Upon a Wardrobe
Happy sigh. It’s time to Finish (2021) Regular! First up in the finishing queue is wrapping up December – daily photos first and then books and reading. and finally, one last post to look back at a year of making.
A Gratitude List: twinkle lights. knitting. seeing family more than once. selfies with my sister. books (and more books). amaryllis blooms. and even seeing a peek of spring outside on the day after Christmas! All the makings of a joyous and love-filled season. … which did end up becoming exactly that. and even my mom’s injury (now two weeks ago!) gave us a chance to come together as a family and help each other.
Life Draining: a day in the Emergency Room just after Christmas.
Life Giving: feeling like I had space to enjoy the season. seeing Marc share the blessing to light the Hanukah candles with Sam (the 4th). time with my sister (twice!) and all the one-on-one time I got to spend with my mom.
A (short) Happy List:
- decaf espresso for afternoon and after dinner lattés.
- a new milk frother/steamer.
- watching Amy Schneider play – and win BIG! on – Jeopardy (no spoilers – we haven’t caught up with this week’s episodes)
- undecorating before New Years (note to my future self – don’t fight it … Marc’s right!)
- staying in on New Year’s Eve; Marc and I made fancy shrimp nachos for dinner and watched a little Emily in Paris and a little football. Then he went to bed and I welcomed the New Year from my favorite chair, doing two of my favorite things – listening to a book (Ann Patchett’s These Precious Days) and knitting.
What made your December Happy List?
p.s. along with all these finishes, I’m also working on some necessary housekeeping and maintenance here at mere-et-filles (it’s been going on four years since I moved in here and things need some “touching up”) Fingers crossed those plans go smoothly and I should be wrapping up 2021 this week and greeting 2022 with bells on come Monday!