Yes indeed – the Book Bingo cards are LIVE and ready to go!
Many thanks to all of you who offered up suggestions for the categories and special thanks to Carole for her feedback and testing.
If you click on “Summer 2021 Book Bingo” (on the header menu) you’ll get whisked to a page that includes a link to the card generator and all the “rules”. We are getting back to our Summer Bingo roots this year. Books you finish between the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day count for a square. We don’t get to start until May 29, but we have until September 6 to finish – 101 days!
As always, you get to interpret the square; the intent is to encourage reading and be fun.
A couple of themes surfaced in your input on the categories. The updated list is still nearly 90 categories and reflects these changes:
- remove genres, except for poetry and biography/memoir.
- remove things about “when you were born” or “the state where you live”.
- remove anything about “should” or anything quirky (e.g., non-human protagonist, written in the 2nd person).
- add more prizes (the list now specifically includes Pulitzer, Booker, Women’s, and Aspen Words prizes – and the text doesn’t say this for space reasons but the intent is “from any year”)
- add more diversity in terms of authors and subjects.
The Women’s Prize short list was announced on Wednesday and I’m planning to read all of them (yes, I will finally be reading Transcendent Kingdom!), so I wanted to be sure I got the new “Women’s Prize finalist or winner” square. It took about two dozen refreshes, but I finally got it!and I must say, this is maybe the best card I’ve ever had. I’m excited. and hope y’all are too!
Here’s to an amazing season of books and reading, and sharing about books and reading!