As the heat wave continues, it seems most appropriate that this week, Carole’s asked us to share ways to keep it cool. We topped out just under 100 degrees this afternoon, so Charlie and I had the opportunity to put a few of these ideas to good use!
1. Drink something cold. For me that’s been water, iced coffee and (now that he’s back with his mama) chilled pinot grigio. For him, water and milk.
2. Eat something cold. That’s actually last night’s dinner (but if I hadn’t used the last avocado it would be tonight’s too). Charlie and I also ate cucumber, carrots, berries, yogurt, cheese and a hardboiled egg.
3. Go out for ice cream. Gone are the days when I’d have a carton or two in the freezer, so this requires an outing. Today we went to Whole Foods and shared a bowl of strawberry and pineapple. (Also, he now loves ice cream, maybe because he can eat it all by himself?)
4. Read a book set in a lot of cold, snow and/or winter. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo comes to mind, as does Little Women, Anne of Green Gables and The Shipping News (which I still need to read!)
5. Wander the aisles in a book store or library (because books and air conditioning!)…bonus points if there’s also story time (which our local Barnes and Noble has on Tuesday mornings – today’s theme was “back to school”…which is next week for some kids!)
6. Find an air conditioned playground. Who knew…our Whole Foods has one!
7. Watch a movie set in a lot of cold, snow and/or winter. My three favorites are Love Actually, The Holiday (also because sweaters) and The Family Stone.
8. Go to the theater to see one of the big summer blockbusters (because movie and air conditioning and also maybe popcorn and wine). Hoping to do this soon…Ghostbusters and The BFG are both on my list.
9. Dive into a pool, a lake, the ocean, or even take a nice long soak in the tub.
10. Plan a trip to Alaska for next summer…and think about how cool you’re gonna be then. My mom has booked our cruise…we’re headed there next August! (lots more to come on that, I’m sure – my first “planning” step was to add Vancouver and Anchorage to my weather app 🙂
I had a lot of fun thinking about this list – it almost made me “beat the heat” – and I’m sure your lists will be the perfect chill! Thank you, Carole for cooling us all off!
If you’re not already playing along with the Ten on Tuesday fun, click here to join.
5 thoughts on “Ten on Tuesday | Keeping It Cool.”
Your idea of reading a book set in a cold place is great – the movie, too!
Dreaming of an upcoming trip to Alaska would be just the thing for staying cool this summer!
Alaska! Cruise! On my bucket list! Have a grand time! Love your list and I didn't know WF had "indoor" playgrounds, too!Cheers~
Number 4 tickled my fancy – a great tribute to the power of our imagination. What I need are a lot of books set in hot countries :).
Very smart to have an indoor playground.
Comments are closed.