This week, Carole’s invited us to share ten things we love about our home. Shortly after I picked up the prompt, I read this:
…then she’d walk from room to room in a small private ritual* she had, something she did whenever she’d been traveling. She’d touch all the things she loved the most, the objects and pictures and mementos that made this house her home, the one place on earth where she truly belonged and that belonged to her. (from Debbie Macomber’s A Turn in the Road)
As I prepare for tomorrow’s trip, the timing couldn’t be better! (and a post that’s long on photos and short on words is welcome, too!) Here goes:
1. the front door. I love that it’s a big window and you can see through all the way to the porch and the trees behind. and it faces west, so evening sunset reflections can be very cool.
2. the screened porch. it faces east. nothing better for a morning person than a front-row seat for sunrises.
3. just off to the left as you enter the front door is my study. this little vignette is on the corner of my desk. I love every piece of it…and the memories and emotions each evoke.
4. this is the path to the lower level. where all of Marc’s stuff “lives”. I love that he has his own space (that I don’t have to see or clean…very often). That painting is of Katie/by Katie from a fabulous middle school art class.
5. the space where I live (almost) all the time. I love it all!
6. and this little corner (which is just to the left of the photo above)… a “shrine” to 32 years of marriage (I made the photo collage and Marc likes to bring home “pairs” from his Asia trips). a much-simplified cookbook collection. Georgia Tech (of course). and a reminder of last year’s OLW.
7. and now upstairs. the bookshelves in my “office”. my yarn stash (well, most of it anyway ;-), my favorite books and photographs and OLW’s… altogether with my desk, swift & ball winder, laptop, printer… this is where I’m sitting now as I type this post. I have to say, I never dreamed I’d share an office with so much yarn-y stuff, but it’s good…very good!
8. the 360 degree mirror in my bathroom. I took a photo of this the first time I saw the house. love at first sight!
9. a sitting room in our bedroom. the windows face east and the light is bright in the morning and not so much in the evening. (just like me!) I love to read and knit in those chairs. (yeah, I don’t have a favorite – is that weird?!) the space is calm and serene….
10. except when Charlie’s here! turns out our bedroom is the easiest place to entertain him. he can’t get into too much trouble and there’s lots of room for toys and exploring. (and nope, no walking today – he definitely walked along the windows, and the chairs, and the dressers… but nothing on his own!)
Thank you, Carole, for another delightful week. If you’re not already playing along, click here to join the Ten on Tuesday fun!
*Of course my ritual isn’t like the one Debbie describes. I run to the bathroom…then walk Holly, unload the car, pour a glass of wine, and chill at my kitchen counter spot (emails, blogs, Ravelry, Instagram) until bedtime. when I’m forced to carry bags upstairs and unpack. Honestly, I think I like Debbie’s better. And I just might try it on Monday!
6 thoughts on “Ten on Tuesday | Home.”
Oh Mary. Your house is just so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.
Your home is lovely. And that front door is so special. Travel safe my friend and enjoy every minute!
Your home has always been home-y. Lots of good times, and more to come I'm sure!
I like you're ritual better. I love the light and windows in your house. Did you know our friends call us m&m!? Sounds like Charlie will take his first steps while you're away.
Your home is beautiful!! I need a decent full-length mirror… sort of blown away by your 360 version!! 😉
Love seeing all your fave home-base spots…and especially the views of glorious sunrise & sunset…always the best ways to begin/end a day. A walk, maybe next week for Charlie! By the time – or close to it- you read this: Welcome Home!Cheers~
Comments are closed.