…first, thank you everyone who read – and especially everyone who commented on – my last post. your kind words and encouragement are certainly part of why I’m here and that positive reinforcement helps a lot. and now it’s a Saturday afternoon and I’m writing a blog post…so as not to leave anyone hanging on the outcome of…
the mending. I did whip that edge – about 2″ long – with a very sharp needle and a doubled strand of thread (I didn’t even have an exact match but decided the “blend” was good).
Like I responded to Kristen, I dreamed about it Thursday night and had a clear picture in mind of what I needed to do. It was actually very easy to secure the thread into the silk and then just wrap it around, back through a strand of silk, and around… until I’d covered the length of the cast-on edge. I took the photo for documentation. and of course (!!) I told the story yesterday (more than once!). but now, I think it’s over.
the finished piece is lovely.
the colors blend beautifully (pardon me if I do say so myself!)
and it’s very wearable.
|yesterday’s outfit – khaki minnie pants and brown flats from j crew, t-shirt and jacket from CABi|
there are more details on my ravelry page, but I think I used about 1,000 yards (quite a bit less than the 1,200 yards the pattern called for)…and of course on size 3 needles, it seemed like 2,000. seriously, those last few inches were 400/500+ stitches per row. I timed myself. 20 minutes per row. whoa. the bind-off was especially epic (I used that stretchy *K2tog TBL, move the stitch back to the left needle* that Stephen West suggests and I know that took at least an hour). of course, now that it’s done. I forget all that. but it may be a while before I start another epic knit!