…I feel a bit smug about Carole’s prompt this week. maybe because it’s supposed to be near 70 degrees here today (and I had balmy temperatures in Florida over the weekend visiting my folks). it just doesn’t feel like winter. and I definitely don’t have the blahs.
but I haven’t blogged in nearly a week. and I love to play along. so here’s how I’d hope to beat the blahs (if I had them 🙂
|(see #2 below) from my instagram feed | january 12, 2013|
1. plan a trip to someplace warm. imagine yourself there, soaking up sunshine.
2. buy flowers. orange tulips especially. instagram them.
3. invite a few friends over. turn up the heat. mix a batch of margaritas. turn on Jimmy Buffet (loud). and dance!
4. browse the gardening catalogs.
5. get a bright manicure and pedicure.
6. look through last summer’s photos and make a list of things to do (and not do) this year.
7. put on your pj’s, make a batch of popcorn and watch an old movie like Charade or Pillow Talk. Audrey Hepburn and Doris Day are great cures for the blahs!
8. light a fire and have a picnic on the floor in front of it (works best if shared with a special someone).
9. bake these orange spice cookies. they smell (and taste) amazing. guaranteed to make you smile.
10. remind yourself this season shows off your best woolen knits. and wear them.
there. I feel better anyway. and can only hope I haven’t jinxed our weather. this kind of smug is bound to get snowed on!
how are beating the blahs this winter?
18 thoughts on “ten on tuesday. beating the winter blahs.”
Our lists sure are similar! And I bought tulips this week, too. Yellow and white for me.
I saw daffodils blooming today… surely it's too early for them but wow did they scream SPRING (just like your yellow and white tulips!)
Such nice ways to combat the blahs! Love your tulip photo. . . makes me smile on this thunderstorm-y Michigan morning!
those storms are on their way here…. and sadly those tulips are long gone. I need a new bunch!
these are some great suggestions, especially the bright manicure/pedicure. i like taking a walk when it's sunny and cold. nothing beats a light hearted movie, a fun cocktail, and groovy snacks.
nothing beats a light hearted movie, a fun cocktail, groovy snacks…no matter the season!
Great list – happy ToT!
thanks! happy ToT indeed!
I keep reminding myself that this is THE season for us knitters! Flowers are great to make you think of the warmer weather. I totally forgot about them!
I know I'm going to regret saying this…but it hasn't been cold enough here so far for me to wear even half of my sweaters!
What a great list! You reminded me to spend some time with my stack of seed catalogs this weekend.
I'm not sure what a gardening catalog is. Easiest way to fight winter is to work up a sweat at the gym #amirite?Alternately, get into a really good book. I was just thinking this weekend that I'd love to just spend all day reading.
yes, there are CATALOGS from which you can order plants. bulbs. seeds. etc. I don't get any of these. but I do enjoy looking through my magazines and seeing spring. what are you thinking you could spend all day reading? I haven't found that book since Night Circus….
I made the mistake of getting grey shellac this time on my nails! What a bummer for this time of year. Going to paint the toes pink tonight I think! 🙂
Excellent list. Thanks for the link to the cookie recipe. My MIL recently sent me a beater for my mixer that should scrape the sides of the bowl, and I need to try it out. I love spice cookies, so I want to give these a try.
Fun list…and those tulips add just the piece de resistance ( bought myself another bunch yesterday!).Cheers~
Orange Spice cookies! I baked some yesterday and boy are they good! Thank you for sharing the link!
Comments are closed.