…this one is especially timely around here. marc, sara and I have all been bitten by the cold bug this season. and technically carole’s topic is how to care for yourself when you have a cold, but I think taking good care helps you beat it, so here goes:
1. hot tea. I am a confirmed coffee drinker. the first sign I’m not feeling well is that I don’t like to even think about coffee. hot tea, however, is soothing and hydrating. something with chai is especially nice with a bit of milk. (and my special M mug always makes me smile!)
2. juice, water (and more tea). I heard recently that drinking lots of fluids helps to flush out the germs. that might be true because the extra liquids do make me feel better.
3. zinc and vitamin C lozenges. start sucking these at the first itty bitty sign of a cold or sore throat. they might even keep you from getting sick.
4. chicken soup. more liquid, and this one with some protein and flavor and proven benefits for fighting a cold.
5. rest. early to bed, no alarm and a few naps during the day. (I guess it goes without saying you should stay home when you’re sick!)
6. workout. this one’s tricky, but sometimes working up a sweat helps me feel more like my (well) self.
7. cozy up with a book and a blanket.
8. tissues with lotion. lots of boxes!
9. sweatpants, sweatshirt and slippers.
10. and then, a long hot shower and real clothes. spending too much time in my sweats starts to make me feel worse!